How Does Tax Haven Work?
The word “Tax Haven” refers to an offshore financial centre that provides the liberty to the high-net-worth individuals and corporate entities to step forward and invest without worrying about tax, or invest in a tax-free environment. Apart from the tax benefits, these tax havens provide the flexibility to the investors to operate the business from any corner of the country.
In the year 1998, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) has stated multiple factors that identify a region as a tax haven. A few of the factors include:
- No-tax or nominal tax
- Lack of transparency
- No substantial activities
- Lack of exchange of information
Setting up an offshore business in a tax haven is a profitable move that ensures higher returns. When it comes to corporate business, the top 50 U.S Companies, including multinational companies like Apple, Goldman Sachs, Nike, etc. take the utmost benefit of tax-haven.
Top Tax Havens of the World
With the increasing growth of the offshore business, the government all over the world has been transforming its destinations into an offshore platform. Some of the suitable countries which business investors prefer to proceed with are:
- The British Virgin Islands
- Hong Kong
- Cayman Islands
- Cook Islands
Benefits of Selecting a Top Tax Haven
Few parameters that provoke a business investor or a corporate entity to choose a tax-haven are as follows:
- Absence of income tax
- Access to tax treaties
- High-end banking security
- Deal with multi-currencies
- Political and financial stability
Who Needs an Offshore Tax-Haven?
By now, it is a well-known fact that the offshore tax haven can be opted by a higher class of people or MNCs. A few of the categories have been mentioned below:
- Investors looking forward to investing in international business
- High-net-worth-individuals seeking forward to protect their assets
- Corporate entities who are looking forward to multiplying their profits
- Individuals and business entities who are planning to minimize their tax liability
- Individuals and business entities who are interested in buying an asset
- Business start-ups who want to expand their business operations
- Entities looking forward to an untapped market to set up their base
How Does Government Earn Money from a Tax-Haven?
The Government of the tax-havens earns a sufficient amount every year. Some of the mediums through which they earn includes:
- Customs and Import Duties
- Corporate Registration and Renewal Fees
- Departure Taxes
- By grabbing the attention of global business investors
The Working Mechanism of a Tax-Haven
Tax-haven jurisdictions are often considered as an ideal platform for business incorporation. However, before investing, it is essential to understand the core mechanism of how the channel works. The few points highlighted below will help you to understand the working flow of a tax haven.
- Goods that are bought and sold by tax-havens don’t pass through the tax territory
- Assets of the trusts established in tax havens are kept miles away
Proceeding with a business in a tax haven is one of the convenient processes that a business investor can think of. The offshore destinations provide a feasible environment for one to perform at the maximum level. When it comes to setting up a business entity, it is recommended to take care of professional guidance.